Thursday, April 7, 2011

Silver Leaf Egg

Who knew paper mache could look so good. I had picked up a large egg at my local craft store over a month ago and didn't have any idea what I would do with it. But yesterday I got out some paint and silver leaf.... First I painted the egg black with craft paint. After that dried, I painted silver/gold leaf sizing over the paint and let dry til it was just tacky (about 10 minutes). Then I used 1 1/2 sheets of silver leaf over the entire egg. A little black paint showed through here and there but that made it look a little aged. Brushed off any extra silver and gave the egg a light spray of gloss sealer. I then loosely tied a ribbon around the egg and that's it. Simple, easy and I don't think it cost me more than 5 bucks total, and it adds a little sparkle to my Easter display on my mantel. Diana

8 comments:

  1. So pretty, the ribbon adds a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely, I'll have to try silver leaf sometime! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. this is an awesome idea. It looks go great with that green ribbon.

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. so pretty and classy looking! I think I will copper leaf one. Thanks so much for linking up to Beyond The Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh so very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about this. I think I'm going to try it out on a birdie...

    notverydomestic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. ACk!!! I love this idea! I purchased some paper mache eggs too and haven't had a chance to decorate them. Glad I didn't! Might have to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi There! I love how your project turned out! It reminds me of Willy Wonka in a very high-end sort of way.

    I shared your project on BabyCenter's blog Momformation today! You can see it here:

    http://blogs.babycenter.com/life_and_home/5-egg-cellent-easter-egg-crafts/

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete