Tuesday, December 26, 2017


Every once in a while I start feeling like I need to close a chapter in my life and try a new adventure. Sometimes that has meant a move and sometimes it meant starting a new project. What ever form it takes, change is something I look forward to....even if it requires closing a door before opening a new one.

We have taken on a huge project this time, building a carriage house on 7 acres we just bought on Lake Lanier down in Georgia. We closed yesterday after a few months of looking at properties online, checking them out in person and finally finding one we could see ourselves living on. It has a dock in deep water (most important feature) and enough room to build a carriage house for vacations and later a larger home to move to full time. Over the next few months we will be meeting with builders and getting utilities to the site. So exciting! But not all our decisions were about the new project. We also decided to sell our little cabin we had built. We were no longer using it the way we had for so many years. Very few projects were left to do so we were not out there very often. If fact, most of the time we spent there was just mowing the fields. The grand kids no longer spent hours in the creek (they are teenagers now). It just wasn't suiting our needs anymore. So on the market it went and withing about one week we had an offer. Day before yesterday we closed it up and said our goodbyes. The furniture has been put in storage as we wait for the new vacation home to be completed. Much of the decor went to Goodwill since it was too rustic for the new cottage. Wood furniture will be given a fresh coat of white paint, or maybe a few pieces will be painted black. But most of the decorating choices won't be made for months......there are other things that we need to do first....repair the old dock, pick out sites for the carriage house and the future site for the main house, and drool over all the modern farmhouse plans on the Internet. Here are a few I am in love with.
Which one would you choose?

Monday, October 23, 2017

Heat Transfer Vinyl Socks And The Cricut Easy Press

My first try at heat pressing went great.  And the best part is that I didn't have to buy a huge heat press to do it.  No, I bought a Cricut Easy Press and I love it!  Look what it can do.
It costs about the same as a cheap heat press but it is smaller so it is easier to store away.  It has a timer and thermostat setting no mistakes from a too hot or too cool iron.  It was a good compromise between a too bulky heat press and an unreliable home iron.  There are some good tutorials out there if you want to check them out.

I will be trying some other projects with it as soon as I find the time......maybe more socks and a few tee shirts.  

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Use What You Got Quilt

Three and a half years ago I made a window pane quilt which used up less than half of the fabric I had bought to make it.  That sad pile of leftover fabric has been waiting all this time to become something.  Here is how I finally decided to use up that material.
 Nothing complicated, just a quick project. 
 I even pieced the back so nothing went to waste.  Now I won't feel guilty about buying too much fabric.
On a different note, I tried a new machine quilting pattern.  Tons and tons of circles!  Took FOREVER but I like it now that it's done.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Aqua Pumpkins

I didn't do hardly any decorating for fall this year.  Just have been too busy.  But I did do this simple arrangement for the coffee table.

I bought a handful of tiny pumpkins at the craft store and spray painted them aqua.  I filled an old wooden box with foam which I then covered in spanish moss.  Then glued the pumpkins in and there you have it, a fall decoration that matches my color scheme!

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Postage Stamp Quilt

 Just finished another quilt.  Each square is 2 inches by 2 inches.  It was easier than it looks because I did strip piecing using jelly rolls!
The colors are so cheerful.
 The last picture is a little out of focus but it does give an idea of how many squares are in this quilt!

Saturday, July 8, 2017

Baby Boy Quilt

Just finished a quilt for a newborn baby boy out in California.  This was an easy quilt to piece as you can see.  Went together very quickly.  I think the colors are pretty cool and neutral enough for the little guy.
 This was my first attempt at edge to edge machine quilting on my embroidery machine.  Because my biggest hoop is 5x7 it took a lot of time and 64 hoops to complete the quilting.  Love the finished look but it was soooo time consuming.
Glad to be finally finished with it and now off this quilt goes across the country to it's new owner!

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Almost Done with Trailer Exterior!

Just a quick post to show the finished exterior paint job on the trailer.  It took a long time to get this done and an enormous amount of tape and drop cloth. 
We kept the original color theme and used automotive paint for durability and shine..  A little more trim work and she will finally be ready to hit the road ( and maybe a car show or two for fun).