Thursday, September 20, 2012

Altered Art Halloween Scene

Remember when I said we went to the Country Living Fair last weekend?  And remember how I said we saw things we could craftlift?  Well this is the first of those craft projects.
One of the booths was huge and had sooo many cute things.  Only one problem.....super expensive.  So I decided I would make one of the items myself.  I didn't take a picture of the shadow box I fell in love with.  I only wanted to use the idea, not totally copy it.  (Saying that makes me feel better.....like saying borrowing instead of stealing.....)  Hours later (now I understand the high price) I have my own version of an altered art shadow box for Halloween. 
I picked up the shadow box at the craft store.  Then the entire thing was spray painted in a flat black. 
I lined the back with a piece of scrap book paper cut to size.  I downloaded the Witches Ball paper from the Graphic's Fairy which I wrinkled up and distressed with black ink.
Much of the clipart was purchased from Altered Artifacts on Etsy.  Check out her blog here for free clipart and a link to her shop.  The jack a lantern was cut from one of her sheets and I attached the dimensional witches hat and pipe cleaner limbs.
This creepy beetle was one I had in my stash.  He is served on a small favor tray I had left over from another project. 
A small bottle of Arsenic hides in the corner,  Maybe it was the cause of some of the deaths in the graveyard. 
A small little witch leans against one of the tombstones while her black cat stares at you.  A bit of moss is tucked among the tombstones.  I also brought more attention to the witch with a frame of spiders.   
This view shows better the many layers involved.  I used layers of foam tape and small blocks of wood to support the paper items and bring them forward.  
While this did take a lot of time, it was so enjoyable!  Everything had to be hand cut once it was printed but it wasn't difficult or expensive.  Now I am going to try my hand at another copied inspired project I have in mind.  Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment