Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Restore: Pottery Barn Look Alike

 I knew I was getting TOO comfortable.  The husband and both the kids were in school, I couldn't work because I was waiting for my board approval to come through, cookies were baking, sewing was coming along...when B A M! Emergency board meeting kindly allows my contract renewal early and little man decides to bathe and scrub down with (there is no other possible explanation) in poison ivy.  So now I have lots to get done and a sick kid, mind you not sick enough to leave me alone, just enough to annoy me!  I did manage to finish up this project while he was napping with the aid of Benedryl.

Not too long ago, a Habitat for Humanity ReStore opened in our area.  It is so fun to go and browse all of the building materials and furnishings there.  The hours are a bit sporadic, but if you are patient you might just find a fun weekend project. 

This chair started out with a pickled yellow finish, sage upholstery with royal purple piping. It was one of about 30 chairs donated from a local bed and breakfast. My mom remembers one of the chairs from a stay in the bed and breakfast 10 years ago!

TUTORIAL:  I had left over cream oil based paint that I used for the wood.  Actually, I am not even sure it was real wood.  Probably a fiber board or something.  I did decide to distress it with some stain because the dents from the previous finish didn't look right with a bright coat of paint on them.  I didn't even bother to tape off the upholstery, if you have a steady hand and a edging tool (like a Spackle knife) I wouldn't even bother.

The fabric I used was a linen.  I love linen!  It was really easy to work with and gave me the shabby chic look I wanted. After laying the fabric over the chair I cut openings for the frame and finished them with bias tape I made from the linen.  Then, bias tape ties were attached at each opening and a ruffle added.

I made the top portion by making what looked like a pillow case.  The only difference is I added a 2" strip of fabric to join the pieces at the top of the arch.  It was necessary to split the sides and finish with bias tape at the widest point for easy removal.

Here's another item I picked up at ReStore --  Check back soon to see what has become of it.
image from: http://capitallighting.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/cap-brass.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment