Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Don't Worry, What Could Go Wrong

Do you see the ugly fabric on my dining room chair?  I've had them for 8 years and hated the cushions from day one.  It's not like I DON'T KNOW how to do a simple seat recover.  Done many over the years.   But I just never got around to it.
I even have had the fabric.  What got me going?  We are getting new hardwood floors in two weeks and I couldn't bear to put these ugly chairs back in the room.  So today was the day!  This was going to be a quick and easy job.  I took off the seats, saved the screws, cut out the first cover and stapled it over the cushion.  Now I just needed to put it back on the chair.  But guess what.  The seats are fiberboard and the screws had mangled the "wood" so the screws wouldn't hold.  Now what.  Maybe I could fill the holes with wood putty?  I didn't have any.  Longer screws?  The thought of sitting on one put me off of that idea.  Well, at least I could remove the rest of the seats and get them covered.......oops, ran out of staples.  Bummer and by now my dining room looked like a bomb had exploded all over it.  Not good.  I dug in my tool box and found a few individual staples that had broken off the strip, and a few tacks.  They would have to do.  With some creative folding I was able to finish the reupholstering.  I also decided to try ONE MORE TIME to attach the seats to the chairs.  Guess what.  By accidentally putting the seats on chairs they hadn't come off of, the screws didn't line up with the old messed up holes and I was able to get them into new wood, for the most part anyway.  Phew.  Another save.
And my easy project is finally done!

No comments:

Post a Comment