Shout out to Roxana from Roxana's Home Baking for her fantastic and easy basic sandwich bread recipe! I tried it yesterday and loved the results.
It is just as she describes and delicious to boot. The only thing I did different is that I brushed the top of the finished loaf with melted butter cuz I like a soft crust.
The texture is lovely with small air pockets so you sandwich will hold up well. Definitely give this a try.
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tsp active Red Star dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 cups (360 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup (56 grams) melted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup (30 - 40 grams) all purpose flour
- In a bowl add the water, yeast and teaspoon of sugar. Stir to combine and leave at room temperature for about 5-10 minutes until doubled in volume.
- In a mixing bowl sift the 3 cups of flour and make a well in the middle.
- Pour the yeast mixture, add the egg, sugar, salt and melted butter.
- With the dough hook on start mixing adding the milk and slowly adding the remaining flour until the dough forms a soft and elastic ball.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for about 1 hour or until doubled in volume.
- When the dough has risen, punch it down and shape it into a log. Place it into a 9X5 greased baking pan, cover and let rest again at room temperature for another 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat the oven to 375F.
- Bake the bread for about 30 minutes until golden brown and the smell of fresh bread takes over your kitchen.
- Leave to cool slightly in the pan before removing it and completely before slicing it.