Monday, March 18, 2013

Get A Clue Nancy Drew

Have you seen the Nancy Drew fabric?   I was a huge fan of Nancy Drew as a young girl.  I mean, who wasn't.  The girl had her own car, loads of cash, a dashing father and loyal friends.   Plus she got into all kinds of adventures with exciting outcomes.   These books got me hooked on reading, especially of the mystery genre.   ( I like to throw that word into any conversation I can----genre)
 OK, back to the fabric.   Even thought the colors in this line were bolder than I usually work with, I had to have it!  I ordered two charm packages of Nancy Drew and one charm package of Moda's solid in natural.  Plus a yard of the book spine print and 3 yards of the blue and white fabric that looks like the inside cover of the books.   Oh, and a 1/2 yard of red fabric for the binding.......
The pattern is from "Simple Quilts and Sewing" magazine winter issue #127.  I changed up the dimensions to utilize the charm size squares.  The quilting is done by machine on my Elna  as I don't have a long arm :(   Not that I have any room for one anyway.........  but I can dream can't I?
Here is the whole quilt.  It is about 60 by 60 so it is a nice size.  It was sooo fun to make especially because each piece of fabric reminded me of hours spent reading about a spunky girl named Nancy Drew.   
Diana

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I loooooove this! I was obsessed with Nancy Drew when I was a girl (I have all of the old ones) and I read them outloud to all of my five kids at bedtime. What a fantastic project! Hope you can stop by the enchanted oven.
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, I sure wish I had kept my collection like you did......

      Delete
  2. I LOVED Nancy Drew books when I was a girl. What a fun quilt! I'm brand spanking new to quilting (you can see how far I've gotten here: http://www.dejongdreamhouse.com/2013/03/my-first-quilt-progress-report.html), but I can see how it's addicting!

    ReplyDelete