I have been trying to eat healthier, exercise daily and lose weight for the last three months (27 pounds lost so far!). I am finally seeing some results which has me excited. One of the downsides of this new lifestyle though is not being able to eat some of my favorite desserts.....so sad. But I have found a cookie recipe that let's me have a little (or, on a bad day, a lot of) sweet during the day without any worries. These delicious cookies have only 10 calories a piece so you can eat quite a few!
The recipe is from Taste of Home and is very easy. There is some wait time so start these a few hours before you need them and you will be fine!
Vanilla Meringue Cookies Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons clear or regular vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250°. Add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #32 star tip. Transfer meringue to bag. Pipe 1-1/4-in. diameter cookies 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1 hour. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheets. Remove meringues from paper; store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: about 5 dozen.