Wednesday, June 12, 2013

"Can You Pickle Eggs?" Or "What To Do With All Those Darn Eggs"

Yes you can pickle eggs yourself!
For years I have been looking for directions for canning/pickling eggs.  All my canning books didn't recommend it (but that's what they said about using my pressure cooker to fry chicken too and that tasted wonderful, a little scary but wonderful...).  Finally I found a recipe in an Amish/Anabaptist magazine that a friend got me a subscription to (thanks Fanny) called Keepers of the Home !!!  The recipe was simple and used up all my extra eggs from my girls.

Recipe For Pickled Eggs

11 to 12 hard boiled eggs
1 1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt per quart jar
garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cayenne flakes or pickling spice

The above is for 1 to 2 quart jars

Simmer brine for 5 minutes. Pour over peeled hard boiled eggs in quart jars.  Water bath for 10-15 minutes. 

Now here are some extra tips I found helpful.  I added the salt to each sterilized jar since I didn't want to end up with too little or too much salt in any one jar.  It may also take a while to hear your jars pop at the end of the bath.  Don't fret, even if they don't seal you can put them back in the bath again or just put them in the fridge.  They will keep refrigerated for a long time. 
Diana 

No comments:

Post a Comment