Monday, January 21, 2013

Concord Grape Jelly

Who does their canning in January?  I do, and you can too if you freeze your concord grape juice from last summers harvest.  Think about it.  Instead of canning in a hot, steamy kitchen in August, you can put up jelly in your cozy kitchen as snow falls outside in winter! 
Last summer I juiced my grapes and froze them until the day I would have more time.  Today was that day.  I used a recipe from the Ball Book of Canning.  It calls for 4 cups of concord grape juice and 7 cups of sugar.  The sugar and juice are brought to a boil in a large pot.  Add one envelope liquid pectin and return to a strong boil for one minute.  Ladle into sterilized 8 oz jars leaving 1/4 inch space at top of jar and water bath for 10 minutes.  This makes 7 jars.  I doubled the recipe but be careful to use a large enough pot to prevent boil over!   Look how pretty the jars look full of sweet grape jelly waiting to go to neighbors and friends......except for a few jars that will find their way into MY pantry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment