Friday, August 27, 2010

All Dressed Up and No Place To Go

What's a girl to do? This kitty can't wait for Halloween to get here!! I made her from modeling clay over Styrofoam and while it took a bit of time, I am really happy with her. I started off with a cone that I cut about an inch off the top.
Next I used a Styrofoam ball that I covered in clay and gave it some ears.
The cone was also covered and I inserted two tooth picks to attach the head to.
I added two arms...
and poked two holes the same diameter as the dowels I would be using for legs.
I cut two dowels about five inches long and inserted them into the holes I drilled in a disk that would serve as a base. Then I baked her on low heat for about 15 minutes and repaired any cracks that developed.
I painted the kitty black and her dress white. I stamped little spiders on the dress and stripes on her legs. More details were added like the band of white with orange dots on the base and the funny face. A paper collar around her neck adds a bit more color to the predominately black and white color theme.
The face was easy because it is folk art so perfection is not allowed! Once she was painted, I sprayed her with a bit of sealer just to protect the finish.
The last bit of whimsy is her bag! I cut it with the Cricut and Tags, Bags...... Then I used an image from the Graphics Fairy for the funny little scaredy cat. She is so funny that I hate to put her away until October! Diana

16 comments:

  1. That is adorable! I've never tried clay over styrofoam...its now on my list! Great job!
    smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute!! My SIL has a collection of similar dolls, but they are expensive! I love the idea of being able to make your own!

    Thanks for linking up to Show and Tell Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana, I would love it if you could add my button to this post or to your sidebar.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute.... you did a really good job. Thanks for sharing

    Effie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! You did very well! I started messing with paperclay and styrofoam and aluminum foil and whatever I could use for a form a couple of years ago, and I'm hooked. This is very clever and well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I'm going to have to try this. it turned out really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love her! You made it look so easy! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your kitty looks quite scarey- just in time for Halloween!
    I love that you've shared all your steps. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in LOVE with this! Adorable!!! Thanks for the step by step too. I made a few minis last year and loved doing it.
    xx,
    Autumn Clark

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is Adorable! Love it!
    Have a Wonderful Day!
    ~Jill~

    ReplyDelete
  11. She's darling!!! What a super cute project! I'm so glad you showed how you made her too, I never would have figured that out, but it doesn't look super hard so, I may just try this!
    Thanks for linking this up to Brag Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! What a great project! You've inspired me to try clay over foam. I'll add it to my "bucket list" of must do's. Thanks for the great idea! Keep on creating and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your kitty is way cute!! Adorable!!
    I love using styrofoam.
    I did it in my last three paper clay projects,
    one is posted on my blog this week and a link to the other. The third I will post next week.
    I been thumbing through your blog and loving your crafts.I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, this is an amazing project, love your kitty! thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete