Saturday, January 22, 2011

Rag Heart Baby Quilt

Our dear Amish friends have two new grand babies coming soon. My husband and I wanted to do something personal and special to mark their arrival so I made this sweet little blanket. I will make the other one soon! Of course we don't know if they are boys or girls so I stuck with neutral colors. This first little blanket took only one full day to complete. I cut strips of fabric 3 inches wide and 36 inches long of both the front and back fabrics. Then I cut 7 inch squares in both front and back fabrics, six of each (twelve total). On the squares I appliqued these little patchwork hearts. I did them on the embroidery machine (design from GG Design Embroidery) but you could do them with your regular zigzag stitch.
Sew it all together and cut down to a 37 inch square. Bind and then clip all the seams and throw in the washer and dryer. I love how this quilt feels, so soft and cuddly. Just right for a new little one. Diana

2 comments:

  1. I love how this turned out.... it is so sweet! I have been wanting to make a rag quilt but I didn't want to do all the traditional squares. I like the way yours looks so much better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any idea how much yardage this would take if I had to buy fabric to make this quilt?

    ReplyDelete