Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Beerocks

We use to get these in Fresno at a little shop.  I have never seen them anywhere else but I did learn to make them myself.  They are so good.  Even my kids use to like them.  I don't think they knew they had cabbage in them!  These little gems are a great grab and go lunch or snack.
 This recipe makes about 18 rocks so I freeze the ones we don't eat right away. 
Beerocks
Prepare a batch of bread dough (homemade or frozen) that will make 2 loaves.  Allow to rise until double.  Set aside.
1 lb ground beef
1 small head of shredded cabbage
1 medium onion chopped
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp celery seeds
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
Simmer all of the above ingredients (except dough) in a saucepan for 2o minutes.  Remove from heat and  drain in a colander, pressing gently to remove as much moisture as possible.  Allow to cool.
Pinch off a ball of dough about the size of a golf ball.  Roll out until it is about a six inch circle.  Take  1/3 cup of filling and place in the center of the circle.  Close by folding and crimping edges to seal.  They should look like a roll now.  Place seam side down on a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.  Bake in a 359 oven for 20 minutes.  Serve with mustard!
Diana

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting! Can't wait to try them. They look so good:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. • I love food like this you can eat on the run if needed and don't get your fingers messy. •

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Looks so good! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again tomorrow with more great projects!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Beerocks are the best! I live in Fresno and know where your talking about ;) but my family eats them with ketchup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I moved from the Fresno area about 30 years ago and I've been CRAVING these ever since! Thank you for posting. I am SO EXCITED.
    A Reedley girl in Utah.

    ReplyDelete