Saturday, August 13, 2011

Chill Down Your Spine Apron

Is is weird to want to cook wearing an arsenic apron? Should it make guests a wee bit nervous? I whipped this little beauty up in a few hours. It mainly took so long cuz I was photographing each step and made a few ERRORS that I had to fix.


Here is the first one (error, that is). Be sure and print your image in reverse (mirror image)!!!! I didn't figure out what I had done wrong until I went to iron it on!!! It took about 10 minutes to reprint on a new iron-on transfer sheet.


I used linen for the apron. I cut one panel 25x21 on the fold ( becomes 25x42) and 2 strips 25x3 1/4. The fold will become the apron's bottom hem. Fold strips in half lengthwise and press.




Stitch along the long edge and one short edge.




Turn inside out. I used these cool tubes that really make it easy!


Press.


With the apron main piece folded in half, (the fold is the bottom hem) stitch along the waist. This will leave you with a tube.


Now tuck apron ties right up along the top seam on each side and pin.


Stitch both sides closed leaving a small 3 inch opening on one side unstitched. Turn apron right side out and close the opening with a whip stitch or iron in tape. Press well.


Now cut 4 strips of black linen 4x48 inches.


Mark two lines at both 2 and 5 inches from the bottom hem on apron.


Fold black strips in half length wise and stitch along long edge and one short edge. Turn right side out, press and turn in and close remaining short edge with slip stitch or iron in tape. Then attach each long finished strip along marked lines to bottom of the apron. I pinned and casually bunched it along so it looked totally imperfect.


Now you are ready to apply your image. Follow manufacturer's instruction. It took about 3 minutes of ironing to get it on well. This is when you will understand why your image must be "mirror"!!! Don't overdue the heat or your image will yellow. Allow to cool completely before removing backing. To camouflage the edge of the iron on, I sewed on black rick rack!




This apron is worn slightly below your waistline, much like those super cool chef ones!


Won't this be great for serving refreshments at a Halloween party, or maybe just to make your sweet hubby a bit nervous as you putter around the kitchen....... Diana

16 comments:

  1. That is so cute. I like the idea of an arsenic apron

    ReplyDelete
  2. He he i hope that it makes the guests nervous. Great converstation piece! Thank u for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from Monday Mingle! That is a great apron! I know a few cooks who really do need to wear that as an advertisement!
    http://13plumconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha- love your sense of humour. I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten about reversing an image for printing (and I'm an art teacher). So gorgeous that I wouldn't keep it for halloween! Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, I love it! Very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute to wear to answer the door at a Halloween Party. Really a darling creation!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun! Now you just need an old lace accent ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this--is it a warning about the cooking? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey I'm Kassandra! I featured this here at my blog. I hope you'll come by and grab a button!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, this is so cute!! I think that you will for sure know who actually reads what is on your apron.....Thanks for linking up with Show and Share.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the poison and skeleton one! Where did you get the image so I can make one too?

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! I love this and need this ASAP!

    Thank you for linking up to Sew Woodsy last week. We hope you will join us again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd be nervous if you served me in this apron... LOL!!! Great conversation starter!!! Fabulous apron and a great tutorial...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dropped by from Threading My Way 'Aprons' party - what a fun make and you obviously share my own sense of humour :)

    ReplyDelete