Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Teachers Need New Lunch Boxes Too!


The children have been in school for 4 hours this year, and so far I haven't left my sewing machine.  One of the projects I have been working on is a new lunch bag for teacher (bribery) gifts.  This is a really inexpensive quick project. 

All you need is 1/4 yard of oilcloth and some scrap fabrics. 
First, cut 2: 5"x10" and 1:7"x25" pieces of oilcloth
Take the longer piece and form it into a 'U' shape.  Insert one short piece into the end of the 'U' and sew around with wrong sides facing.  I made 1/4" seams.  When you get to the corner make sure that your needle is down.  Lift the foot and rotate 90 degrees.  Straighten out the cloth, this takes some maneuvering, lower foot and continue stitching.


Once the bag is completed trim the top edge evenly.  Made a casing using a piece of cotton fabric 26"x3".  Create a single fold bias tape using the fabric to sew around the top of the bag.
I love top stitching so I added a few around the trim. I also added some ties so the bag can be closed.   I just need to pick up a few cute Tupperware containers to tuck inside.  Oh, and I love this cute sewing kit to go with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment