Monday, August 15, 2011

A Haunting We Will Go

Let me begin by saying I am not an artist! I have never painted a picture in my life, no tole painting, no oil painting and no classes ever (except for a water color class I took in Korea, but believe me when I say that did not count!) So it was a huge leap of faith when I decided to paint a picture of my own casa...... and haunt it! Grandma Moses style! 16x20 seemed like a good size to get in enough detail. I then went on line to several companies that will take a photo of your home and add ghosties and pumpkins. Just the inspiration I needed.

None of my lines are straight and the perspective is all wrong but I didn't care! It is the overall impression (I kept telling myself) that was important.

A witch in the dining room window, a scaredy cat having a fit and several ghosts flitting around the yard......just a few of the otherworldly visitors haunting my little cottage.

Do you see the spider? I think the ghost is a little scared of it! I used acrylic paint and art pens (for details I couldn't get with a brush). So much fun to make! And if I can do it there is nothing to stop you from doing your own haunted house! Seriously. Diana

17 comments:

  1. Love it! I wish I could make that

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this! I am a huge fan of Halloween and I am a tole painter so this is a project I definitely want to tackle. Could you please email me back with the name of the website? I would really appreciate it. Yours turned out great. I have looked around your blog and you have many crafty talents! I love your clay pumpkin and your felted ghost kitty. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! It looks wonderfly spooky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. From one decorative artist to another.....nicely done! I know how much time you put into this and you did a fabulous job!!! But must we think Halloween already??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes you are an artist--fantastic job!! Thanks for sharing--not ready for Halloween though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really fun idea. My daughter is an amazing artist. I should get her to make one for me. My mom created a Grandma Moses style Christmas Scene when she was a young woman, growing up in Sweden. I have always loved that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is adorable!!! You are not an artist?! I should show you what I did on my chalkboard...you would probably get a good laugh out of it. It's pretty sad. I've always wanted to draw little Halloween things but of course, I'm no artist either! Except, I'm really not :P

    Thanks for sharing, I really love this! I found this linked up with Free Pretty Things and now following you! ;)

    Lauralee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diana,
    This honestly looks like professional artist made this. And you haven't taken any art classes!?! Maybe you should, because this looks awesome! You did a really good job! I especially love the black cat in the middle of all the ghosts!
    Thanks for linking it up with me and my girls!

    Jacque @ Jacque's Soda Parlor
    thesodaparlor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. you missed my comment because you have comment verification installed and it comes up too slow and I already exited out. I'm sure you are missing out on a lot of good comments. I've disabled mine and it has made a big difference. Wish I knew earlier.
    Anyway....great art project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a cute idea! I can't wait to get to my new home and try it. It would be so fun to find a way to be able to make a picture of your house and then "decorate" it in the picture for each of the holidays. Then you can decorate any way you want without the expense. Great idea! Thanks for sharing. Definitely 'pinning' this for future use!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! It looks wonderful! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your picture is fabulous. I can't paint either but I doubt I do as good a job as you've done with this one. Give yourself some credit, it's really very good.

    Following you from the Mingle Monday Hop.
    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Following from the Mingle Monday Hop :)!

    http://opalstevens.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the pumpkin moon! Stopping by from Mingle Monday1

    The Twerp and I

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahh! Super cute. So glad to start seeing Halloween projects!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're not an artist, no? Heck, girl, you want to think that statement over! This is the cutest thing I've ever seen, the detail made my jaw hit my chest several times. Thanks a lot for the inspiration, this is something I just HAVE to try. Get your spooks on ;)

    ReplyDelete