Thursday, August 25, 2011

Stained Ties? Tutorial: Turning them into a boy's tie.

My husband has this little (BIG) problem with staining his ties. I am not sure how he does it, but most of them end up with dry erase marker slashes or who knows what else all over them. I think I have come up with a way to salvage these ties. 
 My 8 yr old loves to wear his dad's ties, but they are always WAY to long and we end up having to tuck the tail into his shirt.  He will be thrilled when he sees what I came up with.
 Cut off the bottom portion (or stained portion).  It was approx. 7 inches in this case.  Unpick the back seem about 6" up the back of the tie. 
 Turn this bottom area inside out and pin together along the bottom.  Make sure to measure and mark the center.  This will become the new point of the tie.
 Sew up at a 45 degree angle from the center point.  Do the same thing on both sides.  Trim really carefully. This will ensure crisp corners when you turn it right side out.
 Turn right side out through the slit up the back.  I ironed at the point.  I placed a towel over the tie and made sure the fabric would iron OK by testing on the scrap I cut off.  Whip stitch the back seam closed making sure that you are catching the lining of the tie with each stitch. 

Just think of the possibilities.  If you find a tie you love, buy two-one for Dad and one for Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment